Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Shopping for a Communion Card

Who would have thunk that shopping for a First Holy Communion card would have been so difficult.

Like the last minute gal that I am, I waited until about 11:00 p.m. the night before the communion to go get a card at Walmart. This was not intentional, of course, my lack of timeliness has just become a daily routine in the life of a full-time working and full-time student, like myself.

Well, of course the Wallingford super Walmart was under renovation so I was all over the place even trying to look for cards. Alas, when I found the two racks of cards that the store had, there were no communion cards.

Ok, so at this point, I was exhausted and had cheese, for burgers that I had baked the day before and wanted to heat up for lunch the following week, melting in m hands. Ok, not melting, mushing.

Well, then, of course, I go home and wake up early in the morning to get a communion card. I was going to go to Halmark, but my mother suggested that the dolalr store might have one. So, I went into some dollar store on Broad Street, in Wallingford, Dollar Tree, or something or other, and they only had two communion card options: one for a boy and one for a girl. Of course, like Murphy's Law, there were no cards left for a boy. (But since I was right there, I managed to pick-up a cute Mother's Day card. I have come to the conclusion that I make the excuse "oh I am right here" to make a purchase.)

Well, as I was checking out, I asked the cashier about communion cards and she said taht what ever was there was what they had. Well, the woman in line infront of me, she was a cute older lady, said, that we should go take a look. I didn't know that she was going to bring me right back to the same spot that I had been looking, but I didn't want to be rude. And what shocked me was that she didn't know the difference between a christening and a communion. So I said that a christening was like a baptism.

Well, I left the dollar store and at this point it was something like 10:40 a.m. and the communion started at 11:00 a.m. and I had to stop at my apartment in East Meriden to change. I figured that I would stop at Walgreens. I stopped at Walgreens and found the same problem: no boy cards.

And, a sales associate also did not know the difference between a baptism and a communion, so I got sick of explaining that I just said that one was for a baby.

She was so sweet and managed to find a card for me.

Over all, I was shocked that people did not know the differece between a communion/christening/baptism. I know the difference between a circumcision and a bar/bat mitzva. O well.

Bottom line: I made it to the communion on time, with a card.

1 comment:

  1. I actually laughed out loud at this line: "I know the difference between a circumcision and a bar/bat mitzva."

    But yeah, I've worked at two different pharmacies in my life, CVS and Rite Aid, and those card sections can be a pain in the butt. Especially to clean and sort through. People put stuff back in the most random places!

    ReplyDelete