Thursday, April 30, 2009

New Britain's Jefferson Elementary School's New Play"ground"

New Britain's Jefferson Elementary School was going to be building a nature scape the week after "The Night at the Museum."

My COMM 495 class requirement that students spend at least two hours helping to build this project, as a community activity assignment, soon vanished as the end of the semester woes began sinking in, students started complaining, and the April rain began pouring.

After a long week of work and schoolwork, I could not turn my back to Jefferson Elementary School, that had some of its students perform on their drums at the UMC (University Museum Community) collaborative, just the previous week.

One of my friends from class and I managed to have some free time in the middle of the day on Friday. I went to Jefferson Elementary School and helped to build the fence on the nature scape.

It was such a wonderful feeling, knowing that I was helping to build something that students who emotionally touched me with their drum performance one week earlier, would be able to play on. Many students would reap the benefits of this play scape.

No comments:

Post a Comment