Monday, March 9, 2009

What is Lost and Never Found

When I was younger, my littlest sister got the movie El Dorado for Christmas or her birthday, or some holiday. I think that she was too little to understand this animated movie, but I fell in love with it. I would watch it over, and over, and over again. That movie never got old, for me.

Even now, as a college student, once in awhile I will be flipping through the channels and see it playing on t.v. I always stop to watch it. It still amuses me.

Apparently I am not the only one amused by the topic of El Dorado, other lost cities, and history. David Grann, a staff member for The New Yorker is also interested in this topic, writing a book called “The Lost City of Z.”

This topic goes beyond this one city, it hits at the heart of a concept. It is a concept that I am not quite sure about. I believe that people do not like to wrap their minds around loosing things, let alone whole civilizations or cities.

In eighth grade history class I would always get goosebumps when we would get to the part about Roenoke and the lost American colonists.

Whether it be the allure of lost gold in a South American city, or the mystery of lost colonists in North America, people like to be informed and enjoy learning of a secret. Or perhaps people are so fascinated with these lost worlds because this world is so over explored and full of claimed land and boundaries, that these lost places give people the allusion that the world is not so small.

No comments:

Post a Comment