Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Philly's Best

Yesterday, while in Philly, my friend and I decided that we wanted a "real" Philly cheesesteak. My friend's friend introduced us to Jim's Steaks, on South Street. "Since 1939," Jim's has been serving the greater South Street community.

The menu ranged from cheesesteaks made with Whiz, American, or Provolone, to ham and egg "hoagies." One of the cooks even cooked a ham and egg "hoagie," for an Indian woman, on a separate grille, so it would not touch the beef from the steaks.

Like a lunch line, those waiting to put their sandwich orders in wrapped around the small restaurant, zigzagging in a line, which, according to my friend's friend, is "usually out the door and down the street."

The long line was well worth the wait. We all went up stairs to sit down, where we saw signatures from many famous people, like jazz players. There was even one from Denzel Washington.

My main complaint: the bathroom that I used was atrocious.

The food was great, though, and well worth the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment