Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Mitsitam Café

While in D.C., I suggested that my father and I meet up at some point for lunch, since he was in the city on business at the same time that I was there for Spring Break.

My father, very eagerly, told me that he wanted to meet up at the National Museum of the American Indian. I thought to myself: "Okay, so maybe we grab some type of snack and look around." I had it pictured to be like a cafeteria, with maybe milk, apples, and some type of pizza or pastry-ish lunch food. Boy, was I wrong.

My father's smile and wave sure had me fooled into thinking that it would be a calm lunch hour. Instead, my father led my friend and I into a whirl wind of people, food, and beverage, from all over.

Like a cafeteria, it was every man for himself. My dad shoved some trays our way and let us out, into the "wilderness."

I agreed to split this platter with my dad, from, I believe, what was labeled the Southwest corner. It turns out that the café breaks up the different regions of the nation into different grilles that sustain the native foods of both that region and its peoples.

The Mitsitam Café offered some foods that I had never eaten before: duck and venison. Both were very tasty. I also had rice, a seven grain roll, and some salmon.

This sample platter was pricey, but seemed to be the way to go when a couple people want to split a dish and want to try something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment